Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:56:29 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@psknet.com>
To:        "Brian" <wrath@shianet.org>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: rackmount

Brian,

>From your post, it sounds like you've already got a pretty good handle on
what you need to get.  I've had good luck with SVEC cases, they're quite
nice for the price.  $200 for a 2U case is very cheap, and I'd watch out for
airflow issues.  It's really easy to bake your HD and CPU if you're not
carefull.  Look for a well designed case that's easy to work in and has good
airflow.  You don't want to have to pull out everything else just to add
some ram, and you don't want the flow of air to be blocked around your CPU
or HDs.

I bought a pre-built system for the first time last month.  I ended up with
a 1U box from thinhardware.com, and I must say that I'm impressed with it so
far.  They even double-package the thing for shipping, I was amazed to see
over 10" of foam to protect the thing.  I'm sure I'll be buying more from
them as needed.

For your rackmount server needs, just go with whatever you're most
comfortable with.  On the hardware side, you've got a pretty good list going
already.  I'd add the IWILL line of products to that list, they've proven
themselves to be very reliable to me.  I've even got one that's been running
for over 4 years without issue (HX Chipset, onboard UW SCSI :), an LX that's
been running for about 3 years, and a BX that's been up close to 2 years
now.

For ethernet, I can't reccoment Intel Pro/100 cards enough.  I got handed a
box of used ones a long time ago, and from the first moment I saw one in
action, I was impressed.  It's all I use now.

Good luck,

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks