Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 2021 22:48:54 -0700
From:      "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum deprecation for FreeBSD 14 - are there any remaining Vinum users?

--T7PAKZuNXEQlmLF0jvZgS8pBiFRs115r5
From: "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <mirror176@hotmail.com>
To: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Vinum deprecation for FreeBSD 14 - are there any remaining Vinum
 users?

--CTTHViaGATYvIPFpU75ewVyBrVUi8rTga

  Been years since I first used Vinum (before the g transition?) for
RAID5 and had to repair a failure where one of the 3 disks died and it
swapped one or two remaining disks to different positions within that
RAID5 sequence. I was able to fix it with a text editor and dd if I recal=
l.
  I had ZFS on an unstable system corrupt a pool to the state that it
caused a panic during scrub which would the start again on reboot. Had
another pool corrupted when a system crashed due to a hard drive failure
in a mirrored configuration.
  I remember liking the flexibility of how any storage could be combined
but thought it confusing to have that and geom providers to have to
choose between as they came around though the geom providers were not as
complete last I compared them.
  Unless I'm mistaken, ZFS is only a considerable replacement for either
when it is on a system with enough resources to make it viable and then
you have to decide how much you want its features to use said resources.
It has been a battle to use when dealing with high total storage space
utilization, many nonsequential writes of single larger files, and
random writes+deletes of many small files. Trying to tweak performance
to minimize impact then lead me down the route of making a system that
was easy to crash/freeze.
  It wasn't flawless when I worked with it but did its job when it was
running but if alternatives with good
reliability/development/maintenance/performance will exist then I can
survive it disappearing but was a nice option to be able to use.
Edward Sanford Sutton, III