Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 18:52:29 -0600
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@csw.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Expiring old mail?

Hi,

I recently ran into a problem with my mail server.  The /var/mail disk filled
up. (not good)

Anyway after several hours of "mail -f username" and deleting 7 month-old un-
read messages and > 1 month-old read messages, I freed up approximately 700MB
of disk.  (Why do people subscribe to every mailing list on the planet and
not read their mail?)

We have approximately 9,000 e-mail accounts on our mail server.  Is there an
"expire" like tool for the mail spool files?  I would like to be able to
setup rules such as "any un-read mail more than 2 months old gets deleted"
and "any read mail more than 1 month old gets deleted."  That should give our
users enough time to get their mail onto all the machines they may want.  It
will also allow someone to be out of town for up to 7 weeks without losing
any e-mail.  Perhaps unread of 3.5 months would be better to allow for summer
vacation.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Scott Lambert
Mail, News, and Shell Administrator