Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:56:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com, questions@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, isdn@muc.ditec.de
Subject:   Re: Any ISDN-BRI cards work under FreeBSD?

> > > done it yet.  They currently only run single channel connections (you
> > > can have two different connections to different destinations).  The
> > > theoretical maximum throughput is 8 kB/s (64,000 bps), which is
> > > somewhat less than the theoretical maximum of the 115.2 kbps lines
> > > (11.52 kB/s).
>
> Why do you divide by 8 in the one case and by 10 in the other?

My guesses:

8)	8*8k = 64k; conversion is for sync framing

10)	1 start + 8bits + 1 stop = 10bits; conversion is for
	async framing

A more interesting question might be 64k + 64k = 128k.  128k != 115.2k.
Here the answer is that the max PC port rate is 115.2k (unless you
get a decent [non-Intel] UART serial board or buy a card from Dennis).

So the conversion from sync to async is internal to the device, and
is limited by the bit rate of the device-to-computer interface.

This is the general problem with externally interfaced serial devices.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.