Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 19:05:11 -0500
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        "Jon C. Smith" <jonsmith@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG

> FYI, the keyboard problems I was trying to fix, which appear to only occur
> in X, on two different motherboards, are spontaneous insertion of a '
> after a new line, spontaneous number insertion (single digit) when using
> the arro keyss, specific keys apparently delay before appearing, so the
> familiar "... | more" usually comes up "... | moer".  Shift, control and
> alt staying as if they are down even after I release the character. These
> effects increase the longer the keyboard is in use, and has occasionally
> locked the keyboard completely, leaving me to _unplug the keyboard_ while
> the system is ON (bad idea) and re-plugging it in.

Your examples are typical of my typing. ;-}  Really, if it's not your fingers, maybe your keyboard is just worn out.  Something I read years ago described keyboards with, "they  wear out like paper towels".

On your other problem, is your /tmp in your root filesystem?  Typically, temporary files are unlinked right after they're opened, so they won't linger around if the program aborts, and so you can't see them growing to 50M bytes before the program aborts.  Make yourself a big (500M - 1G or so) swap partition, make a Memory file system, and mount that on /tmp.  If you don't already have it, you'll need a kernel with "options MFS".