Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 08:51:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP bandwidth bragging

John Birrell asked Mike Smith:
% Exactly which bit of FreeBSD do you put on that 40M disk?

Mike gently replied:
> You can actually put an entire BSD system on a 40M disk.  In fact, for
> some time around 1.1 days, there was a dialin server running in the
> spare bedroom on a 20M disk.  (dotat.apana.org.au, IIRC).
>
> Now that 40M disks are getting harder to source (and less reliable when
> you _do_ source them), I don't bother with these tiny installs anymore,
> which is why I scream at people that complain about a few more 800K
> binaries in the system.

My "boat anchor" system, a 386sx/16 with 100 Mb drive and on-board
256K VGA, is going away.  I've been running FreeBSD on this system
for testing TCP/IP client/server programs for two years now, and it
has served admirably.  On the other hand, connecting to popper on it
actually takes 45 seconds the first time around, when it has to heave
the bits off the disk.  ;^)

My sister needs a machine to run educational programs for her kids,
so "boat anchor" is going to her.  I'll be replacing it with "danforth",
a 486 DX/33 with a 340 Mb IDE drive.  <Sigh>  It'll be a much more
capable server (probably) but it just won't have the character.  ;^)