Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:43:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD 5.0 diskless environment does not work!

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:

:>In message: <20030310163117.K23333@edda.physik.uni-mainz.de>
:>            "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de> writes:
:>: Can anyone help? Has someone a runnng diskless FBSD 5.0-R/5-CURRENT
:>: environment?
:>
:>I fixed a couple of bugs in the /etc/rc.d files that broke diskless
:>boots about a month or two so after 5.0-RELEASE.  It would have
:>precluded diskless systems network from working most of the time.
:>
:>Warner
:>

Dear Warner.
I cvsupdate, build worl and already mergmastered the newest stuff from
FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT to avoid being outdated.

Possibly I should repeat in short terms what I did when 'migrating'
from the working 4.X diskless system to the 5.0 system.

I backuped everything so I can switch back to the working stuff.
I installed a clear, fresh copy of a FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT into
the root path of the diskless stations, e.g. for the X11 terminals
this is /usr/diskless/xterm.
I populated <ROOT>/conf/[base,default,IP. as well as <ROOT>/etc.
The config looks like very primitive and I did the whole config
from scratch, so there should nothing be left from the 4.0 config.

DHCP (isc-dhcpd) works like it worked before, no changes.

The diskless station offers a request via PXE (Intel fxp device),
gets IP and pxeboot file, loads kernel, bootstraps kernel and then
does the whole stuff as it would be a standalone machine. It does
not touch the diskless scripts! I checked this by adding some
echo lines which reflect that those scripts has been involved.

It seems to me that after the kernel has been booted and the init
process is walking through all the configurations the system does
not recognize itself being diskless. I'm sorry, I have no glue how
this gets figured out, maybe there should be a special marker in
some of the loader files or in device.hints or within KERNEL config.

If I can figure out what is to do I would probably be able to boot
into diskless.

If I understand what the rc_ng system is doing, the first script is
initdiskless in the hierarchy. But it does not get touched anyway.
Next I try is to figure out whether there is a kernel-switch which
could be set by some loader.conf tags telling that this kernel is some
diskless kernel ...

Sorry bothering you and wasting your time.

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
Systemadministration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)