Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 07:58:32 -0700
From:      "Chuck TheMascot" <freebsdfan@hotmail.com>
To:        small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from Flash

>My ideal would be to have a web/ftp server that had all the tools
>and instructions you would need.  I'd be happy to host such a thing
>at DCF, Inc.
>
>So, a person should be able to crack an I-Opener without a screwdriver.
>Perform the keyboard gymnastics to get to a QNX prompt as it powers up,
>dial up a PPP connection to the modem sitting on the DCF, Inc. server,
>download a PicoBSD and the tool to flash it and go.

I haven't been following the I-Opener scene for quite a while, at one point
they had disabled the backdoor into the QNX from the BIOS (after I wrote a
program to reflash the BIOS from QNX :) ).  Some of the original I-Openers
had cgi scripts that could be accessed from a web server to do just about
anything, there was one guy who started to author a site to do just that
minus needing to get into Qnx.  (Un)fortunately they closed that hole pretty
quickly.

>To be a bit more elaborate, you could flash just a kernel and plug
>some storage into the USB port, and have an almost real computer.
>
> > I'm currently building a replacement firewall using a Soekris net4501.
>
>I had been using an old 486DX50 running the firewall/NAT/router code
>from Network Safety (www.safety.net), but replaced it with a Linksys
>BEFSR11.  Works just fine with my Cox@home, but I kinda miss the
>control I had before.  So I too have ordered a net4501.  Soren says
>the yield he's been getting is terrible, and I'm on backorder.  Oh,
>well...

A friend bought a NetGear Cable/DSL firewall/NAT/router box at BestBuy for
$30 (probably a billing screw up, list was $119) about the same time I
bought the net4501 for almost 10x as much ... I just couldn't stand giving
up the control (and toy factor).  My 486DX2-66 is on it's last legs, it
freezes during the BIOS memory test from time to time.  Luckily it's still
solid after it's been on for a few minutes.