Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 16:42:59 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        JimFleming@unety.net (Jim Fleming)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv8 Tutorial #1: Minimal IPv8 hack

In some mail from Jim Fleming, sie said:

> @ > There are macros to test the version and options bits...
> @ >
> @ > You have to use "&" and not "==" to make sure you
> @ > are testing just one bit at a time. Only the high bit
> @ > of the IPv4 version field (ip->ip_v) is used for version.
> @
> @ But 4 = 0100, 6 = 0110, 8 = 1000, etc.
>
> Yes...and you will note that 4 and 6 both have the high
> bit as 0. IPv8 takes that bit, sets it to 1 and then "borrows"
> the other bits. A more accurate description would be...
>
> "@ But 4 = 0100, 6 = 0110, 8 = 1XXX, etc."

So you want to reserve half of the IP version numbers for your own protocol ?

Why are you still using IPv4 data link types (such as 0x800 for ethernet) ?

That'll make your protocol safer to deploy and you won't be constrained to
use any header format compatible with IPv4.

> @ I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but there is an IPv6 being
> @ developed by large number of people.
>
> I have been at this over 20 years...I am very aware of IPv6.
> Have you ever seen some of the "private" opinions about
> IPv6 from some of the experts that designed it...???

I followed big-internet for several years...that should answer your question.

> @ Have you submitted any documentation on this to the IETF ?
>
> The IETF is only concerned with a small subset of the IPv8
> OuterInternet. Galaxy 0: StarGate 0: has been allocated to
> the Legacy Internet. The IPv8 OuterInternet is built on the
> "outside" of the Legacy Internet.

Have you asked them ?

I think you'll find they'll let anybody submit anything as an informational
RFC or an internet-draft.