Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 12:52:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>, Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MGR and libvgl

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Major advantage of MGR is that it's a server-client model, very close in
> concept to X, with all advantages of remote clients etc. If we could
> hammer out something like this, it would be a big win IMHO. Not that I
> like the X protocol (I don't know it too well either), but the concept is
> sound and proved useful (at least in case of X).

  It is such a good idea that Microsoft will releasing "Microsoft Terminal
Services" for NT shortly!  This is technology absorbed from Citrix.
Product was originally called Winframe I believe.  The idea is to have a
central NT server with gobs of CPUs and memory, and desktops just run a
thin terminal client.  Citrix was claiming that their thin client could
run on a 286 with 1MB of RAM...

  And people thought that era of mainframes and centralized computing was
dead!