Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 21:55:01 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: future of syscons

>At that time i worked on a version of pcvt containing all the patches and
>fixes people sent in and the ones i grabbed from PR's. Further, all the
>ifdef spaghetti is removed (and as a result, only FreeBSD is supported
>anymore) and all the dead code of the "old" way of X server interfacing.
>The result is available at http://www.hcs.de/users/hm/hm-projects.html
>
>Pcvt needs much more cleanup and some enhancements here and there, and when
>i realized how much work this would be, i stopped ;-)
>
>Instead of working on pcvt, i would let it rest in peace if it were possible
>to move its functionality to a new modularized and open console driver.

Not much has been designed or decided about terminal emulation code
yet.  I have just a vague idea that the terminal emulator code shall
write to the vty's internal buffer, rather than directly to the
screen, and a timer routine will periodically render it to screen.

Let's work together in designing this, shall we?

Kazu