Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:30:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Henry Ammons <henryammons@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Server weekend

Good Day.

I am preparing to switch my personal web/email server
over to FreeBSD (from W2K/Exchg) this weekend and had
some quick (maybe political) questions that might help
me to accomplish this exciting task.

I have topically read a couple books and spent some
time with the handbook and other online resources for
the last several weeks in preparation for the build.
I have also pre-built an extra pc as practice.  My
questions boil down to recommendations regarding what
I should initially load to get the server up and
running without overloading it with lots of extras (as
my brief work with Mandrake demonstrated).

The server is connected to the Internet via a DSL
static ip connection and I initially want to provide
the following services (no X):  Web, Secure Telnet,
Email, Secure FTP, and network software (NAT,
firewall, proxy)

I believe I will run qmail as my mail server, and
Apache as the web server.

Is there a list of software/binaries that you would
recommend that provides a good balance between loading
everything and a minimalist approach?  Also, do you
recommend the Novice installation from the sysinstall
program?

And lastly, what servers do you recommend for each
service?  I tried postfix in an earlier life (Linux),
but kind of prefer qmail based only on what others
have said (no personal experience).

I sincerely appreciate your assistance and experience
and look forward to the world of FreeBSD full-time,

Thank you,
Henry
henryammons@yahoo.com