Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 15:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Presence <presence@irev.net>
To:        InvictaNet Customer Support <support@invictanet.co.uk>
Cc:        Freebsd-ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: move home dirs

  Funny thing, I just did this last night, moving all the users and
directories from an old 3.5 server to the new 4.1 box.  I used NFS to
mount the two servers together for a short while and ran on the new
server:

(cd /mnt/old/usr/home/ ; tar -cvlf - .)|(cd /usr/home/; tar xpf -)

 It moved everything across perfectly, including .dot files and
permissions.  I did the same thing for the /var/mail directory and
/var/log/httpd/ directories while I was at it.

  Also, if you have a problem where user id's aren't being mapped to
usernames like I did, try running vipw, make a single change somewhere,
then save.  It seemed to force everything to align up nicely.

    Presence Morrigan o  Inner Revolution BBS  o  877-Im-31337
       http://root.ws/  o  http://irev.net/  o  root@root.ws