Date:      Mon, 2 Jan 1995 14:06:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sherman F Mui <smui@sparta.sjsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   floppy tape backup, how?

Hi,

I just get a new tape backup (Conner TSM420R). It's supposedly fully
compatable with QIC-40/80. It came with a QIC-WIDE tape, but that's not a
problem yet. This is with FreeBSD 1.1.5.1

I can't get it to do anything (except panic and reboot). I had to modify
my kernel config:

#disk           fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
tape            ft0     at fdc0 drive 1

It's my secondary "floppy" drive. I don't have the cables to use it as
the third drive.

Here's what I did to get a nice panic message:

tar -cf /dev/ft0 /root

It starts doing nuts with the hard drive and after about 30 seconds the
hd light turns off. 3 seconds later my computer reboots.

I guess I'm supposed to use dump to do these backups, but shouldn't this
thing work anyway?

So I'm off to try dump...

	Thanks,
	Sherman