Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 12:48:39 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      "Alain FAUCONNET" <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
To:        jrclark@felix.iupui.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com Support? -- NOT

> John Clark writes:
> >
> > FreeBSD Group,
> >
> > I was hoping someone could help me with my 3c509 woes.  I have read many
> > many questions about the 3c509 card, with no good answers for my problem.
> > The largest source of problems seems to be those who are having irq trouble.
> > This is not my trouble as I have reconfigured, and recompiled at irq's 5, 7,
> > and 10 (orig) with no joy.
>
> Well, as other people have already answered, the board works for most
> people.  I have a couple here, running on 2.2-current and 2.1-release,
> and have no problems.
>
> > My system boots and recognizes everything ok, but hangs when adding the
> > default route.  Any ideas?

[rest deleted]

Have you played with /etc/hosts.conf ? My 3C509 works like a charm but
I've  had  similar  hangs  (soft hangs, you can exit by ^C) during the
setup of default routes when I had /etc/hosts.conf  set  up  to  check
/etc/hosts then NIS then DNS.  Despite  the  fact  that  all  relevant
entries  for hosts *were* in /etc/hosts, the "route" command obviously
was trying to resolve names using NIS or DNS even before  the  servers
were  reachable.  It  disappeared when I restored /etc/hosts.conf from
the distribution.

Just a shot in the dark...

_Alain_
--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE