Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:44:03 -0600
From:      danl@solvnet.net
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.9, 5.1 boot failure after install

We finally have mail working again. I heard a number of responses.
though none was the actual solution, corporately they massaged one
to being. From one guy who installed redhat, to someone using the
live disk, to adjusting bootstraps I still couldn't get to the file system,
even after installing slackware. Problem is the hologram was writing
over the error prompt. It wasn't until I used the raid device format and
attempted to install that I got a readable error "not close enough to
boundary edge" that I caught on that I probably had a geometry
problem. I installed slackware but that didn't work.

Out of frustration I installed windows 2000 and successfully replaced it
with 4.9. I then tried to replace that with 5.1 and it failed. I then tried to
reinstall 4.9 and that failed. I then went back to installing windows
2000 then replacing it with 4.9 and writing the geometry down. On the
next attempt to install 5.1 I saw the geometry changed and the install
failed. I attempted to reinstall 4.9 and it failed. I again reinstalled 4.9
changing the geometry to what I'd written down and the install was
successful.

The geometry chosen by windows worked. Now I don't know if it is the
best economy (could be windows huge blocks wasting space on small
files) but it does work. Here's the rub, this geometry is a lucky guess
on 17G drives, what about when I replace them with 50 or 80G drives.
How do I figure out the proper geometry? I'd like to setup 5.1 before I
commit this box to the network, but it needs a different geometry that I
couldn't guess. Is there a requirement standard? A special offset at the
start of the disk space?

any help much appreciated.

Dan