Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:16:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems using pccard 3c589c with 4.0-snap install

Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time attempting to get a 4.0 snapshot
to install on my notebook (Dell Latitude CPi), which until now has been
happily running 3.3-PAO.  Sadly, it seems not to like my ethernet card.
When installing, sysinstall provides three IRQ exclude options before
initializing pccard support--the first option causes ep0 not to be probed;
the second two allow it to be probed, but not work correctly.  DHCP
succeeds, but following that the DNS lookup hangs.  It appears that the
IRQ is set wrong such that incoming packets are not being observed by the
IP stack, but this is just speculation.  Tcpdump running on the box next
to it shows that outgoing packets seem to be alright.  Sysinstall's debug
screen indicates that IRQ5 is being assigned to the card--PAO was
allocating IRQ 3 (and it worked :-).

Any pointers--especially ones that get the install of 4.0 working ``out of
the box'' on this notebook would be much appreciated.

  Robert N M Watson