Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2004 21:20:19 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for feedback on a Ports-collection change

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 12:07:53AM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 10:17 PM -0600 1/8/04, Mark Linimon wrote:
> >Now let's consider maintainability once again.  The ability
> >to separate the patches into discrete files with descriptive
> >names is a very powerful thing if you're someone like me
> >who winds up trying to do updates to a large number of
> >ports.  I find the ports with a large number of patches
> >stuck together in patch-aa, patch-ab, etc., to be
> >incredibly frustrating to work with.  You can't even
> >tell from glancing at them if they even overlap.  I think
> >it would be a mistake to take away the ability to rapidly
> >browse these files.
>=20
> Inside the proposed pkg-data file, the patches can have
> whatever names you want.  (That was already part of my
> plan). For instance, you could name each patch for the
> exact filename it modifies (if you wanted to) -- including
> directory names and using '/'s as separators.  It's just
> that when the program spits them out, it'll do it into
> boring-named files.  That was my thought, at least, I'm
> certainly willing to spit them out with other names.

What I'd really like to see from you is, what does the port maintanence
cycle look like to the port maintainer and how is it different from
today.  I can think of different ways it would work, but I want to know
how you see it happening.

One thing I like about the idea of stuffing the patches into some sort
of single file is that it would actually reduce the amount of
information I have to put in PRs since path addition and removal would
just happen.

-- Brooks

--=20

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr