Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 14:22:44 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS A7M266-D: enabling 'on board sound'

> 	The error I'm seeing in dmesg is:
>
> pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> at device 4.0 on pci2
                                          ^^^
> pcm0: cmi_attach: Cannot allocate bus resource
> device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>
> 	I've tried manually setting in the kernel:
>
> > strings /kernel | grep pcm0
> pcm0_resources
> ___device               pcm0 at isa? irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x0
                                  ^^^

May be you are specifying too much in your config file?
The dmesg shows pci but your kernel contains isa!

I have a different mobo but the same sound device

$ grep pcm /sys/i386/conf/KERNEL
device          pcm
$ dmesg /kernel | grep CMI
pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> port 0xd400-0xd4ff irq 11 at device 14.0 on pci0
$ pciconf
pcm0@pci0:14:0: class=0x040100 card=0xa70110fd chip=0x011113f6 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00