Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 00:58:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: Current and X11R6 3.3 get Signal 11 abort

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Ron Bolin wrote:
>
> > I am getting X server abort errors after running X  for about 3 hours
> > with a signal 11.
> > Anybody else seen this. I never experienced this before this month.
>
> I have been getting similar problems with recent versions of current - I
> reverted back to a source tree from Dec 23 (what was reported as the
> "most recent stable current") and didnt seem to have any problems, but
> when I resupped to the latest tree a few days ago after the reports that
> things were fixed, my troubles started again. As it stands for me, it's
> touch and go whether things like ports will compile fully in one go
> without coredumping, which makes it annoying to do things like a whole make
> world :)
>
> John mentioned a few days ago that he's starting to suspect some of his
> changes had some unforseen side-effects for Pentium systems. I think I'll
> revert to the older kernel again to confirm that my problems are
> software, and not hardware-related, and hopefully this will be fixed soon :)

I'm running a slightly overclocked P5 with a somewhat average motherboard,
and so far, I've encountered no problems whatsoever (cept when my lkms
are out of date).  Heck, I even started recompiling bits and pieces of my
system (kernel, libc and m) with pgcc -O9 -mpentium.  So far no trouble,
then of course I haven't left the system on too long recently (<5 hrs).
Only today did I see one problem when the building (-j3) of lkms
sigabort'd.

Linux: The Microsoft Windows(tm) of the Unix(tm) world.

- alex