Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 1996 18:37:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   2 suggestions for 2.2 and current

Hi *,

1.) I have just increased the kernel buffer size in /usr/include/sys/msgbuf.h
    as I was advised by Joerg Wunsch.
    It works great. Now I can see all kernel start messages when invoking
    dmesg. Since I have 14 devices attached to 2 Adaptec 2940 this was not
    possible before.
    Wouldn't it be a good idea to increase this number in general, let's say
    to 8k, in 2.2 and in current?

2.) In function Disk_Names, which resides in /usr/src/lib/libdisk/disk.c,
    the maximum number of disks probed is limited to 10 for each device
    type wd* or sd*. This means, that my disks sd10 to sd14 won't get
    recognized by Disk_Names and therefore by sysinstall. Even
    if you haven't got this number of disks, sd10 can be reached quickly,
    by wiring down targets 0-6 at scbus 0 to sd0-6 and targets 0-6 at scbus 1
    to sd8-14 as I am doing it at the moment.
    Maybe it makes sence to increase this number too. My suggestion would be
    16 or 32 at the moment.

Thanks

Andre