Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:06:27 -0500
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   QPL license question

I was reading a copy of the QPL license

  http://www.trolltech.com/products/download/freelicense/license.html

and had a question regarding the following paragraphs.  IANAL and I
don't want to pay one for a translation because I'm just curious what
the heck it means.

 "6. You may develop application programs, reusable components and
     other software items that link with the original or modified
     versions of the Software. These items, when distributed, are
     subject to the following requirements:

     a. You must ensure that all recipients of machine-executable
        forms of these items are also able to receive and use the
        complete machine-readable source code to the items without
        any charge beyond the costs of data transfer.

     b. You must explicitly license all recipients of your items to
        use and re-distribute original and modified versions of the
        items in both machine-executable and source code forms. The
        recipients must be able to do so without any charges whatsoever,
        and they must be able to re-distribute to anyone they choose.

     c. If the items are not available to the general public, and the
        initial developer of the Software requests a copy of the items,
        then you must supply one."

This sort of sounds like the GPL to me.  If I write a piece of code
that for instance links to libqt, does that also mean that I have to
release the code for my application or just my changes if any to the
libqt source?

Please don't try to start any license wars over this.  I'm not asking
whether this license is better/worse than any other.  I'm merely
curious what the heck the previous paragraphs from the QPL mean.

Thanks.

-steve