Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:02:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        barney@databus.com (Barney Wolff)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best mount options, tunefs for newsserver

> Did God say to Moses that each article must reside in its own file?
>
> This is an application problem, not a file system problem.  Or at
> least it is if you ever want to move the solution to another OS.

God said to Moses that unless you want to write your own news server,
each article must reside in its own file.

Some of us are already "breaking" that paradigm.  But practical production
use is still a ways in the future.

However, to a certain extent, an OS should be considered as something
which provides an environment and tools with which to perform tasks.
Debating whether God told Moses to use those tools, or if he told Moses
to write a good database engine to handle it, is sort of irrelevant...

There are some clear deficiencies in FFS.  The lack of rapid directory
lookups for large directories is one.  The lack of a "bat outta hell"
mode for data writes is another (since generally I could care less if
I lose articles after a crash, maybe I don't even care too much about
directories... but I do want it to come back without manual fsck
intervention, even having lost some data)...

That's just my opinion though...  :-)

... JG