Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:07:19 -0500
From:      "Mark Radabaugh" <mark@amplex.net>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Managing DNS

This won't work if you are not using virtual hosting but we set up a generic
zone file for each web server like this:

$TTL 26400
@       IN      SOA     bsd.amplex.net. support.amplex.net.        (
<blah blah>
@               IN      A       209.57.124.27
@       600     IN      MX      10      mailsrv.amplex.net.
www             IN      A       209.57.124.27
ftp             IN      A       209.57.124.27
mail            IN      CNAME   pop3.amplex.net.
pop3            IN      CNAME   pop3.amplex.net.
smtp            IN      CNAME   smtp.amplex.net.
stmp            IN      CNAME   smtp.amplex.net.

and then just keep using that in the named.conf file:

zone "dynamicsmfg.com" {
        type master;
        file "web.virtuals.dns";
};

zone "myphotovideo.com" {
        type master;
        file "web.virtuals.dns";
};

BIND doesn't care that the same file is referenced for different domains.  The
only time you need to make a different zone file is if the customer needs
something special.  We don't worry about reverse DNS for virtual hosted
customers - the reverse points to the web servers name.

I'm sure there are even better solutions using databases...

Mark Radabaugh
VP, Amplex
(419)833-3635
mark@amplex.net