Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:58:02 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/41253: config(8) and/or Handbook deficiency

At 12:20 AM -0700 8/2/02, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.htm
>  does that already.

Following that link (with an "l" appended :-), I get to a chapter that
indeed covers the material.  Apparently, I got as far as Chapter 6.10
and didn't realize that more detailed instructions were available.  So,
I'd like to suggest a link in Chapter 6.10, pointing to Chapter 9.3.

I'd also like to suggest a rewrite of Chapter 9.3, providing instructions
for folks who haven't installed the sources.  Installing the source tree
is, AFAIK, totally unnecessary for building the kernel; why force folks to
do it?

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841