Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:57:47 -0800
From:      Chameleon <swen@wavefire.com>
To:        Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>, Frank Bonnet <bonnetf@bart.esiee.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP address abuse ...

At 03:10 AM 1/14/00 -0500, Mike Nowlin wrote:

>> Our primary DNS runs FreeBSD and we are facing

>> a boring problem , some stupid student has

>> put the same IP address than the DNS on a Linux (mandrake)

>> machine , then our FreeBSD said "someone has taken my IP address"

>> and stop to serve our LAN ...

>Execute him.  Violently.  Lots of blood and guts.

>> Is it possible with FreeBSD to avoid such trouble ?

>> ( arpwatch is running on this machine )

>Without trying this (not willing to screw up any networks right now with

>the amount of brain-numbing liquid in my system at the current time), I'd

>imagine you could side-step around the problem with one of the following:

>1)  a static arp entry on the FBSD box that tells it where a certain IP

>address should be (yours).

>2)  Possibly (?) an IPFW rule something like "deny udp from 10.1.1.1 in

>via fxp0" to keep your system from seeing anything coming in through fxp0

>with your IP address.  (Depending on where in the tree the IPFW rules are

>applied, it may also prevent your machine from seeing itself on that IP

>address -- Linux does have some problems with this, and I haven't tested

>how FBSD handles it.)

>3)  If you're on some sort on intelligently-switched network, you should

>be able to smack down any packets coming from his ethernet address.  If

>the switch is really smart, you can kill packets on an IP/Port level, and

>keep him from sending anything out on port 53, either TCP or UDP with a

>given source/dest IP address, while still allowing him to telnet to the

>"daytime" port on the local HPUX machine.

>(Someone else posted:)

>>So stick with the sledgehammer.  I don't think there is one in the ports

>>collection, but you should be able to get one from a local hardware

>>store!

>Or the sledge that I have symbolically sitting next to my desk -- yes, I

>have used it on a couple of old TRS-80 CoCo's...  It was fun.....  :)

OUCH... that hurts... have a TRS-80 model 4 sitting right here...

waiting to become a fishtank... but still...

:-)~

Swen

>(And someone else posted:)

>>The student is disrupting network services. Don't you have a policy to

>>deal with this? (Perhaps expulsion from school if he won't change the

>>IP.)

>Just threaten him with legal action.  Disrupting systems is usually a very

>serious offense, especially with government-funded schools.  If that

>doesn't work, a few well-planned words passed to a couple of local

>fraternities can work nicely.... :)

>--mike

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-net" in the body of the message

<bold>Windows 98</bold>: n.

        useless extension to a minor patch release for

        32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a

        16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system

        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,

        written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for

        1 bit of competition.