Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:33:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Mahlerwein <mahlerrd@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Don't let mergemaster beat you down [was Re: Failed update]

--- On Tue, 8/11/09, Wayne Sierke <ws@au.dyndns.ws> wrote:

> From: Wayne Sierke <ws@au.dyndns.ws>
> Subject: Don't let mergemaster beat you down [was Re: Failed update]
> To: mahlerrd@yahoo.com
> Cc: "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
> Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 2:18 AM
> On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 08:34 -0700,
> Richard Mahlerwein wrote:
> > I'm redoing the whole process in single user
> mode.=A0 My guess is I
> > goofed something during mergemaster and devd.conf is
> messed up.
> > (Mergemaster is, undeniably, my least favorite
> utility).=A0=20
>=20
> I lost practically all of my 'mergemaster pain' when I
> adopted the habit
> of using it with -iUP options:
>=20
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -i=A0=A0=A0
> Automatically install any files that do not exist in the
> des-
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
> tination directory.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -P=A0=A0=A0 Preserve
> files that you replace in
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
> /var/tmp/mergemaster/preserved-files-<date>, or
> another
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
> directory you specify in your mergemaster rc file.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -U=A0=A0=A0 Attempt to
> auto upgrade files that have not been user modi-
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
> fied.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=20
> "Try it - you'll like it!"
>=20
>=20
> Wayne

Thanks for the tips! =20

I'll have more info in a couple of weeks on this  - I'm in training and not=
 at home until thursday, and Friday we leave to visit relatives for another=
 week. =20

I did do the rebuild all in single-user mode before I left Sunday, and now =
I get another signal 12 core crash, at the *same* virtual address, but in a=
 *different* utility... don't remember which one right now, but it seemed c=
ompletely unrelated.

When I get home in a few weeks, I'm going to run some memory tests and yank=
ing extraneous hardware to try to see if I can make it stop.  Anything else=
 you all can think of to try?

Thanks,
Rich  =0A=0A=0A