Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 14:55:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   CVS posers

Greetings!
    A couple of CVS related queries, if I could impose upon you all...

    I'm trying to hack together a kludgey tree of past FreeBSD
releases.  Presumably, I can just grab the sources for each release
and piece it together from them?  If so, I presume I would
*import* each release using a tag similar to X.X-RELEASE?  Then,
to *extract* the sources pertinent to a particular release, I
would select only those files associated with that tag?  If,
however, I merely did a "checkout", I would end up with the most
recent versions of *all* files, correct?  Even those no longer
present in "the most recent" X.X-RELEASE??

    Also, is is possible to glue CVS around an existing RCS
tree?  I imagine I would NOT be able to reconstruct the "log"
for that tree, though??

    Again, sorry for the "bother" but every time I think I
understand CVS, it finds some new way of confusing me  (I
suspect CONCURRENT is *not* what the "C" stands for... :-(

    Thanks!
--don