Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:37:48 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>, Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MGR and libvgl

Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl> stands accused of saying:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>
> > Jonathan Mini wrote:
> > >
> > >   Soren wants to see it merged into libvgl -- I would prefer to replace
> > > libvgl with something more robust at the same time.
> > >    Hmm.. Maybe I should start work on a 'better libvgl' immediatly,
> > > so that the API can affirm itself before I get the VESA VBE code
> > > online?
> > >
> > I'm sort of working of that, but I got distracted by classes (and some
> > ports).
> >
> > The idea is to use a vesa.h for the low level mouse-keyboard-graphic
> > support and have vgl and Allegro work on top of that. I am planning to
> > use the headers from OS/2's VESA package (for emx), so that we can also
> > port their graphic libraries. I have their API here and it seems good
> > for my purposes: I dream of porting some DOS-like packages to fullscreen
> > FreeBSD :-).
> >
> > I hadn't thought of MGR, but I'll have to take a look at their library
> > because libvgl didn't behave well on my card :(
>
> Major advantage of MGR is that it's a server-client model, very close in
> concept to X, with all advantages of remote clients etc. If we could
> hammer out something like this, it would be a big win IMHO. Not that I
> like the X protocol (I don't know it too well either), but the concept is
> sound and proved useful (at least in case of X).

  We need to provide a simple core package that all of these things
(Allegro, OS/2's evil vesa.h, MGL -- perhaps even Xfree86) can sit on
top of.
  Otherwise everything will fall into chaos _REALLY_ fast.

--
Jonathan Mini
(j_mini@efn.org)

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."