Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 02:41:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for feedback:  REQUIRES_OS_VERSION feature.

 * If this variable is set in a Makefile, the output of `uname -r' will
 * be compared against it and, if no match occurs, refuse to build
 * the port.  For example, the top port could have:
 *
 * REQUIRES_OS_VERSION=    2.2
 *
 * For all variants and 2.1 users could make from the -current tree with
 * impugnity, any ports like top simply getting skipped.

I think this is fine.

 * [diffs relative to -current]

This needs a major cleanup though. ;)

First, disabling reinstall based on NO_INSTALL is not necessary, as
reinstall calls install and that will be disabled by NO_INSTALL.

Next, check sitting between configure and build is simuly bogus, if
it's not suitable for the user's system, it shouldn't attempt to do
anything.  Having a missing dependency (configure -> check) and
calling configure from check is a pretty gross hack too.

What we should probably do is to add it to the beginning before
fetch, so it can also be used for other things (security/ssh's
USA_RESIDENT check comes to mind).  Let me look into this.

Satoshi