Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:45:36 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Michael DuFresne <vdue@zen.tc>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   802.11b access points and ranges [ Was: Dell Inspiron 2500 and what 802.11b ]

Michael DuFresne <vdue@zen.tc> wrote:

> I was considering the Linksys WAP11, but I recall reading that the
> configure options aren't password protected. This seems like a pretty
> serious flaw to me. Too bad, as the WAP11 was pretty cheap.

     There are other 802.11b access points at or near the same price
point (in the US, at least).

     Going off on a slight tangent: what kind of ranges are people
seeing with "consumer quality" 802.11b?  When I had a FreeBSD ad-hoc
setup using Lucent Orinoco (WaveLan) Gold cards, I was seeing a max
distance of around 20-30 feet (direct distance, through walls/floors,
2-story home environment, no external antennas).  I recently got rid of
my FreeBSD gateway and bought a cheap access point (Buffalo), and am
seeing similar max distances.  While wireless is great, a max distance
of 20-30 feet isn't much (keep in mind that a house is an obstacle-rich
environment).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com