Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 01:18:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      jau@iki.fi
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/24100: Having a 3c589 PCMCIA/PCCARD inserted prevents boot or crashes a Dell Latitude 366 laptop

>Number:         24100
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Having a 3c589 PCMCIA/PCCARD inserted prevents boot or crashes a Dell Latitude 366 laptop
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
The actual uname -a output cannot be provided, because I cannot connect
the darn laptop to ethernet without a docking station with fixed xl0.
The ep0 (3C589 PCMCIA/PCCARD) interface is simply unusable, and that
is the only NIC I have for the laptop at home for the time being.

The kernel is vanilla generic 4.2-RELEASE canned by Jordan Hubbard
in the 20th of November 2000.
The hardware is a Dell Latitude 366 with a Dell OEM Ethernet card,
which is actually a 3Com 3c589 (revision C or D).
When trying to boot with a 3c589 PCMCIA/PCCARD inserted autoconfig
works normally until the pccard[01] interfaces have been found and
reported.
Then right after the kernel has reported ppi0 it simply stops then
and there without any further notes about anything or without even
a decent panic. It just drops dead, and the only way to go on from
there is to remove the 3c589 card and a power off - power on cycle.

No other PCMCIA/PCCARD devices which I have tried have had such
problems. OTOH I have only tried two other cards: the Nokia Mobile
Phones GSM data, fax, and sms card, and Psion "Gold Card" 56k+fax
card, but they seem to be quite OK.

>How-To-Repeat:
Well, the full description above should pretty much tell what to try...
Just insert the 3c589 to a Dell Latitude 366 PCMCIA slot and boot.

The system will invariably go south immediately after the ppi0 has
been reported during autoconfig.

The same card worked just fine with the zp0 driver in the 3.x line
of systems.

I classified this problem as high priority in the assumption that
the 3c589 cards have apparently been quite popular and there are
probably a lot of them around.

>Fix:
I just wish knew.
None of the pre-existing open gnats entries seemed to report exactly
the same symptoms, though there seem to have been many problems with
PCMCIA/PCCARD hardware, Dell Latitudes, and especially 3c589 cards.