Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 97 17:29:28 -0800
From:      Eric Harley <erich@powerwareintl.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: reliable modems?

>Does anyone out there have or know of a list of reliable modems?
>By reliable, I mean modems which have the least compatibility problems,
>especially when negotiating with other vendors' modems. My understanding
>(which is probably wrong, so feel free to correct me, thanks) is that
>even tough a vendor claims to support standard (e.g V42bis), it may not
>always work with another vendor's 'same' standard (i.e. V42bis again).
>Probably one (or both) of them is only supporting a subset of the standard.

The Zylex modems have always worked fine for me and are the easiest to
update the ROM if necassary. Plus, they are supported by Innosoft's PMDF
mail2fax gateway.

                                     Eric
Eric Harley, VP Information Systems & CIO
Powerware International
http://www.powerwareintl.com/

Email:  eric.harley@powerwareintl.com
Web:    http://www.powerwareintl.com/staff/erich/