Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 00:06:06 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        fewtch@serv.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How important is "the OS?"

On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 05:35:45AM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:

> Now, that wouldn't be ME you're laughing at, would it Sue? If it is, as long as
> you're rolling on the floor laughing, why don't you stay down on the floor
> where you belong.
>
> BTW, you included me in your recipient list, after I specifically asked
> you not to.

It is normal practice for originators to remain in the recipient list for
mail to FreeBSD lists. If you can't bear to risk this happening, don't
post. Normally I would only send a reply like this to you in private, but
that doesn't seem to make much difference with you lately.

I have remained quiet because I could not agree with much that you have
been saying, and I really don't mind what anyone thinks of me. But I will
not sit by quietly while you pick on someone else because he dared to
correct a simple error that you had made. You charged him with the same
false sin that you had been indulging in yourself, attempted to stifle
his conversation with you, and then went straight on to prattle more
about matters that don't relate to FreeBSD. In fact, nothing that either
of you said was "completely off topic". Well, not while its aim was to
build friendship among newbies at least.

If you can't accept that you make errors occasionally I wonder what makes
you think you fit in as a newbie. We all make errors, and everyone else
accepts a little correction without making a world war out of it. Part of
the list's charter is to be free to be seen to make errors in an
environment where imperfection is not a crime. You are coming very close
to making this a place where nobody dares question anything you say for
fear of retalliation. As soon as fear and animosity take hold, there is
no reason for this list to exist any longer. Jump on the pedestal too
hard, Tim, and you'll break it.

Personally I wish no-one's approval, and I fear no-one. But I care about
everyone, even you. You have a lot of friends here and you seem to be
doing your best to turn them all, one by one, into enemies. I don't
understand why you want to be so persistently vindictive, and it is
a great shame if you cannot benefit from the friendship that is offered
to you. You have made some fine contributions when everyone else shuts up
and agrees with you. This is supposed to be a comfortable place for
newbies to chat, where everyone gets a go. If you want to play bully, go
mess with the big boys.

If I have made you feel small in the past, for that I am sorry, it was
not my intention. We all feel small a lot of the time when we're learning
to receive correction. It seems, though, that nothing will stop you from
feeling so slighted that you must lash out at anyone who could notice a
transitory imperfection in you. I find this approach selfish and
destructive, and I wish you would reconsider your attitude.

Believe it or not, all newbies feel as uncomfortable and as unappreciated
as you do sometimes. We're not perfect, and none of us expect you to be
perfect either. To achieve what we want to achieve we need to cooperate,
not battle for supremacy. That goes for the entire FreeBSD community. I
do expect you to be able to accept that and deal with it, or solve your
personal problems in private.

> Please don't do it again. If you do, I'll complain to your ISP about it.

You want them to close down my email account? I see.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-