Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:35:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>, Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lint

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

>That's the problem with many of the free or semi-free alternatives to
>gcc.  They are junk or, put more politely, aren't up to building all
>of FreeBSD.

LCC is a nice start, however.  It already runs under FreeBSD and as of
the latest versions it understands long long, etc.  It's much faster
than gcc and a good deal of work went into making it retargetable.  I
don't think the license is any better than GPL right now however.  But,
there's always the chance that the current copyright holders could be
persuaded to jump on the OSS bandwagon.  While I am not one to complain
about GCC, diversity is always a good thing, and I unfortunately see the
attitude developing that GCC is The Last Compiler<tm>.  It would be nice
to see a competitive, BSD licensed alternative spring up to keep new
ideas flowing.  I'll bet some of those NetBSD kernel hackers who are so
good with abstraction layers could come up with an interesting compiler
design.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a