Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 22:27:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Rodney Johnson <johnsry@UCBEH.SAN.UC.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install FreeBSD

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Rodney Johnson wrote:

> 1>A list of the files that are absolutely necessary to breath life into
> FreeBSD. I downloaded (FTP) everything in the bin and floppies directory
> at the ftp.freebsd.org, but still no luck.

At least boot.flp, rawrite.flp, and the bin/ distribution.  You'll
definitely want more (ie the kernel sources) but that is the __bare__
miniumum.

> 2>Instuctions on FTPing, after booting from a modem. I followed the
> instructions for FTPing but had no luck. Is there a dial in protocol?

I didn't know modems has boot ROMs.  :-)

Select to linkup via PPP then manipulate ppp manually to connect to your
provider.

See INSTALL for full details.