Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 16:47:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        George Cox <gjvc@sophos.com>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Digital Server 5000

David O'Brien writes:
 > On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 06:02:06PM +0100, George Cox wrote:
 > > I have tried booting with a 4.1-RELEASE alpha boot floppy, and it got as
 > > far as loading /boot/loader, but got stuck (the spinny thing stopped)
 > > while loading the kernel.
 >
 > This is exactly the same experience one gets trying to install FreeBSD on
 > a 4100.  If possible, install FreeBSD on a disk using another Alpha, and
 > transfer the disk back to the 5000.  I'm sure it won't just work as we
 > won't identify the machine in the HW dependant bits of /sys/alpha/.  BUT
 > you will probably get farther.  In a month or so, we could probably get
 > this supported if you are willing to give on of the Alpha developers a
 > serial console on the 5000.

Actually, the Digital Server 5000 is the whitebox (NT) version of
the AS1200 (tincup).  This is the little brother of the AS4100.  It
should "just work" once you get past the initial installation hurdles.

Is it possible for you to netboot the box from another machine on your
local lan? (Matt -- will that even work around the problem?)

Cheers,

Drew