Date:      07 May 2001 21:05:43 +0200
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Isn't the freebsd.org mail server too paranoid?

sam2539@the-beach.net (the-beach) writes:

> There's already one layer of security in that you must subscribe, why add
> another that no one else seems to care about. Is it a Postfix or a Majordomo
> thing?

It's a postfix thing, which is _optionally_ enabled.  It is a very
good way of avoiding the reception of spam, which I guess
hub.freebsd.org wants to do.  Normally ips without reverse lookups
correspond to sites which aren't setup properly, and these are often
the source of spam.

It's caught me and it can be frustrating, but honestly the ISP should
know better.  And you can always change ISP (even if that is a pain).

It's a shame a lot of ISPs don't know how to setup their mail servers
properly.

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd, Madrid SPAIN    Tel: +34-91-408 4878    email: sjmudd@pobox.com