Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 17:17:57 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, tcobb@staff.circle.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM?

> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> One possibility is to use Kerberos as a possible alternative to PAM itself
> -- any authentication system that uses a shared secret (SecurID might fit
> into that if the server can predict the secret ahead of time -- I'm not
> familiar with SecurID) can be patched into the Kerberos server.  Now any
> code compiled to support Kerberos supports (shared secret authentication
> method of choice).

Actually, that's not where PAM fits in at all.

Pam is, as its name suggests, a standardised modular framework within
an application which allows the use of multiple authentication
techniques, one of which may be Kerberos.

One of the features of the framework is that it separates the
configuration of authentication policy from the implementation.  Thus,
it is practical to 'stack' authentications in a primitive fashion.

On the other hand, PAM has a numer of serious drawbacks in the design of
the interface between the application and the framework, which make
generalised PAMification of many common applications extremely tedious.
At least part of the problem is that PAM was meant to be integrated in
the perimeter security of the XSSO model, rather than in the piecemeal
fashion it is currently deployed.