Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:32:52 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Dave Kingsley <front_fan@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS - Postfix

On Sep 21, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Dave Kingsley wrote:
> Our DNS server coughed a major hairball and our
> postfix based email setup suddenly stopped working.
[ ... ]
> Our problem seemd to be centered around MX records.?!
>
> What do I need to post (file chuncks, etc.) to aid getting help?

The mailserver must have access to the DNS, or it will need to
forward all email to a mail relay which does have working DNS.  It is
likely that if you add the IP address of a working nameserver to /etc/
resolv.conf on your mailserver, it will become happy again until you
can fix your own DNS.

Otherwise, you can change the "relayhost" setting /usr/local/etc/
postfix/main.cf:

# In the case of SMTP, specify a domain, host, host:port, [host]:port,
# [address] or [address]:port; the form [host] turns off MX lookups.
#
# If you're connected via UUCP, see also the default_transport
parameter.
#
#relayhost = $mydomain
#relayhost = [gateway.my.domain]
#relayhost = [mailserver.isp.tld]

Uncomment the last and replace the stuff within the square brackets
with the IP address of your ISP's mailserver...

--
-Chuck