Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:36:35 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/41253: config(8) and/or Handbook deficiency

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 08:58:02AM -0700, Rich Morin wrote:
[...]
> I'd also like to suggest a rewrite of Chapter 9.3, providing instructions
> for folks who haven't installed the sources.  Installing the source tree
> is, AFAIK, totally unnecessary for building the kernel; why force folks to
> do it?

I don't understand you on that point, are you talking about only
installing kernel sources? If so, it's already covered:

From the 9.3 page:

Note: If there is not a /usr/src/sys directory on your system, then the
kernel source has not been installed. The easiest way to do this is by
running /stand/sysinstall as root, choosing Configure, then
Distributions, then src, then sys. If you have an aversion to sysinstall
and you have access to an ``official'' FreeBSD CDROM, then you can also
install the source from the command line:

    # mount /cdrom
    # mkdir -p /usr/src/sys
    # ln -s /usr/src/sys /sys
    # cat /cdrom/sys/ssys.[a-d]* | tar -xzvf

Only the mandatory kernel sources are mentionned not all sources tree.

I'm a bit lost :( , please tell us exactly what is missing.

Marc