Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 1996 21:11:04 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail 8.8.4 questions...

> And that defeats the whole purpose of the effort. Only the "FreeBSD
> organization" can OFFICIALLY address solutions to security problems.
> If someone else distributes patches, then, rather than increasing the
> opinion of users, it will actually reflect negatively on the organization
> because it shows that the organization "doesn't care".

OK, good point - you talked me out of it.  Let's just let the
branch die as planned. :-)

> It really is too bad that "you" developers have such a limited viewpoint.
> All you want to your plaything. It doesn't matter to you whether or not it
> is useful in the "real world".  That attitude is definitely a limiting
> factor.

Gimme a break, Richard - you have to end every line of software
development sometime, and if we decided that the "end" was when the
very last user decided they didn't want it anymore, we'd still be
supporting this in 10 years time.

Let's put it this way, and this may require that you stretch your
brain a bit to grasp some of the advanced concepts I'm about to put
forth:

1. We have a very limited number of developers and developer time.

2. These developers are primarily volunteers and will work on
   what they damn well want to work on.  If you want to change this,
   start donating part of your salary to the FreeBSD, Inc. fund and
   I will gladly channel it into paying people to do the non-fun stuff
   I cannot motivate them to do otherwise.

3. We need to continue to make progress and move forward or we will
   lose both momentum and volunteer developers.

Given all of that, I cannot manage this in the way you'd like to see
it managed - that model just won't work here, and if I've learned
anything over the last 4 years it's what works and what doesn't with
this crew.  I'll thank you to trust my judgement on this and not make
unreasonable demands may sounds like positive suggestions from your
perspective but come at too high a price and would, in fact, damage
the project if I were foolish enough to heed them.  You are also not
privy to the emails in core, where fully 80% of the core members are
NOT IN FAVOR of -stable and have strongly resisted my efforts to carry
it as long as I have.

					Jordan