Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 00:44:43 -0500
From:      Jacob Suter <jsuter@linus.intrastar.net>
To:        danlaw@rust.net, Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ron Bickers <rbickers@intercenter.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Binaries in Usenet (was: News...)

>As I understand it, the ruling was that *only if you censor some
>messages*
>do you become liable for others that sneak into other newsgroups,
>otherwise you are simply acting as a distributor and do not have the
>duty to scan each and every message in all newsgroups you allow.

that'd be like going after the power company for some ultra-strange
transient surge that happened to be a porn picture being sent over the
power lines at 60 baud?

Its supposed to just be ~115v 60hz A.C. Dammit, not porn!

I really didn't mean to start a religious debate, though this is important
stuff as the problem is growing out of control.

JS