Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 2003 15:17:26 +0100
From:      Marc Recht <marc@informatik.uni-bremen.de>
To:        Marc Ernst Eddy van Woerkom <Marc.Vanwoerkom@FernUni-Hagen.de>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eclipse under FreeBSD

--==========759155387==========

> Has it not been ported yet?
I had started a native (motif) port a while ago. And there is a gtk port=20
(sorry, forgot the name)...
But, since I've switched to NetBSD (and all what's happening in the FreeBSD =

project (Dillon, Huey,..) lately makes me think it's the right decision), I =

stopped working on it. But I've you want to pick-up the ball I send all the =

stuff over to you. It still needs some work, but is working..

> If I am mad enough to port it, what would be the best approach?
> It needs an 1.3.x JRE, and in the past my experience with the
> FreeBSD native JRE port was not the best.
> What would you recommend?
> - Trying a native port from Eclipse source and the FreeBSD 1.3
> native Java port?
The biggest/only problem is that the eclipse guys don't supply a makefile,=20
so you have to set up the build infrastructure yourself.. Everything else=20
is straight forward, since most of the code is written in Java and SWT=20
itself is quite portable..

> - Porting the linux + motif binaries to FreeBSD?
> - Porting the linux + gtk2 binaries to FreeBSD?
nah :)

Regards,
Marc

--
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." -- Donald E. Knuth