Date:      Fri, 06 Dec 1996 10:31:00 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: last major problem

Hi,

Erich also reports his quad P6 failing after starting additional CPUs,
in the same repeatable manner as everyone else.  He reports ability to
recompile kernel many times with only 1 CPU running.  So I think its
definately a P6 problem.  Nobody running P5s have reported it.

So the next question is whether its strictly an APIC_IO bug,
an SMP_INVLTLB bug, or a bug from combining the 2.  Since you can't run
SMP_INVLTLB without APIO_IO, the one test people with P6s can do is to see if
its any more stable with APIC_IO alone, ie. NO SMP_INVLTLB.

If they are more (completely) stable without SMP_INVLTLB then it suggests
that is the cause (but is NOT proof).  If however the problem continues to
exist then we completely eliminate SMP_INVLTLB as the culprit and can
blame APIC_IO.

P6 testers? (boy I'm jealous, wish I had one of those toys!)

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD