Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 08:53:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
To:        leegold <goldtech@worldpost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

I agree that Windows is easier to learn from the standpoint of a newbie
and Joe Coworker and there isn't anything wrong with that.

I personally dual-boot between Windows NT 4 and FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE at home
and I use the latter just to tweak with it and learn more on my spare
time. I generally recommend FreeBSD in situation where someone needs a
server or a firewall and does not want to spend a fortune on software and
hardware.

Stability and performance is a huge key of FreeBSD and OpenBSD, but the
price you have to pay is the somewhat steeper learning curve. The same
goes with Visual Basic versus C/C++. The former is easy to learn and can
do things relatively easy, but it's no where nearly as stable or as
universal as C/C++.

I'm not saying that FreeBSD stinks as being a client OS, but that's not
only the fault of FreeBSD nor is it the goal of FreeBSD (I could be
wrong). The UI/GUI most be as easy to learn as Windows before anyone
starts flocking towards it.

// Linh Pham
//
// Proud supporter of FreeBSD and OpenBSD
// FreeBSD - http://www.freebsd.org
// OpenBSD - http://www.openbsd.org

/*	"Oregon, n.:
		Eighty billion gallons of water