Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:54:39 -0600
From:      "Jacob Suter" <jsuter@intrastar.net>
To:        "Jim Dixon" <jdd@vbc.net>, "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@Lamb.net>
Cc:        "Dror Matalon" <dror@dnai.com>, <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Router Purchase - the bottom line

> That is, the real problem is in the software.  The hardware is far
more
> reliable.  CPU fans are the least reliable bit of hardware.  Hard
drives
> are very reliable indeed, just like their MTBF figures suggest.

We use Am5x86 here exclusivly for our servers and most of our
workstations.  These have the 486-size CPU...  We were plagued with
fan failures occasionally until I was able to find some good fans
(ball bearings) and cheap enough to change them all every 3-4 months.
 Costs me $35 to walk around and swap them all out, I stick them in a
box... if I have one of the newer ones fail I can always go back to
one of the old ones (if I am out of new ones) or give the old ones to
friends w/ fan problems, etc etc.

plus, keeping the fan/heat sink clean REALLY helps.  I try to clean
ours at least once a month with pressurized air - in extreme cases
remove the heat sink (re-greasing it afterward) and get rid of the
dust/crap on it.

Still, it doesn't seem they want to make CPU fans that want to work
in tower cases....

JS