Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:34:38 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Frame Relay and FreeBSD

>>eeee-gads...why? Can it by my firewall? can I add an ethernet for $60.? Can
>>I add a T1
>>for $200? Can it serve my Web pages? can it be my E-mail server?
>
>Can your Web or e-mail server boot up in 30 seconds or less?

yes...maybe 32...

>Does your Web or e-mail server have NO moving parts?
>Can your Web or e-mail server function without a keyboard, monitor, monitor
>card, disk drive, floppy drive, etc?

This is pretty stupid.....because you still need a server....so the answer
is that
there are no ADDITIONAL moving parts....yes.

This moving parts argument really cracks me up....my novell server has been
up for 18months....... :-)

>Can you fit 10-15 of your Web or e-mail servers in the space taken
>up by standard large tower PC case?

Why would you do this when you could just buy a single router? If you dont have
room in your office for a PC then you are correct....otherwise you're not.

The bottom line is that an external router vs a card:

-adds a hop.
-routes with a much slower processor
-has fewer features
-is less expandable
-costs more

other than that....its a good idea.

dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX