Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 08:01:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP extensions breaking TCP.

> In /etc/sysconfig there is a comment
>
> #
> # Some broken implementations can't handle the RFC 1323 and RFC 1644
> # TCP options.  If TCP connections randomly hang, try disabling this,
> # and bug the vendor of the losing equipment.
> #
> tcp_extensions=YES
>
> The only times I have found these connections to hang are in connecting
> to other FreeBSD boxes.  Last year, a particular 2.0.5 user could not
> exchange mail with me, and yesterday, a 2.1.5 user could not establish
> any TCP connections with any of my 2.0.5 or 2.1.5 machines.
>
> In the incident last year, the other party turned off tcp extensions, and
> all worked.  This time, *I* turned off the extensions.  Question is: why
> is this only being seen between FreeBSD boxes?  I can quite happily talk
> amongst a network of around 10 FreeBSD machines with OS versions of
> 2.0.5, 2.1.0R, 2.1.0-stable, 2.1.5R, but suddenly there is a FreeBSD
> 2.1.5 machine I can't talk to.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas regarding what the other party or I have done
> wrong to wind up in this state.
>
> If people would like to test out the other machine (still has extensions
> on, I believe) it is at pixel.planetx.com.au  - try telnetting to its
> smtp port.  One of my machines which has extensions on, and which won't
> talk to pixel, is tutu.schools.net.au.
>
> If anyone can suggest a cause, I'm happy to attempt to do some debugging
> on this, if pointed in the right direction.
>
> Danny

Win95 blows chunks if these are enabled and the connection comes in over an
Ethernet (say, from an ISDN user).

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!