Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 16:16:31 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Sandeep Joshi <sandeepj@research.bell-labs.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracking down "BTX halted"

Doug White wrote:

| On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Sandeep Joshi wrote:
|
| > I changed the disklabels on a few SCSI disks and now
| > I keep getting these "BTX halted" messages every time
| > I reboot.
|
| Lemme guess, you're running them in 'dangerously dedicated' mode.
|
| There is a bug in Adaptec BIOSen that they will not tolerate DD disks.

This may be true for some Adaptec controllers, but is certainly
not true for all of them.  I run a mixture of SCSI and IDE disks
which have always been dangerously dedicated since day 1 (which
is around 10 years ago).  All my SCSI disks have always run on
Adaptec controllers of various models and not one has had any
kind of problem.

That doesn't mean that all Adaptec controllers like DD disks,
but it certainly shows that some are comfortable with them.